Saturday, August 27, 2011

A rainy day in the park...

Stadsparken (City Park) is just a stone's throw from our house.  We walk through it to get into town and we often go to the park playground so we are there almost every day.

Inevitably, on any outing that lasts more than 15 minutes, there will be a downpour.  Here we are taking cover in the park's cafe.  They have some of the yummiest muffins I've ever tasted.  And coffee!  What more could a person want?


This is the bench the girls were sitting on.  
There is something so quintessentially Scandinavian about this to me.  



Picture this scene:  I'm in the park, hanging out with a three and a six year old.  There has just been a downpour.  You know what comes next...

Puddle jumping!





This enormous (human built) bird nest has been in the park since we arrived in August.  For a while I was sure it was just a temporary exhibit but now that it has been there, wet wool and all, for two and a half months I'm starting to realize maybe it is more of a permanent exhibit.


Yet another moment when I realize my Swedish is really lacking.  There is a sign with a full description and explanation.  There are photos of the birds who build this kind of nest.  But everything is in Swedish so it might be a while before I figure it all out.

Here's E posing with the nest for scale.  We've seen some kids climbing in it but it doesn't really look all that sturdy me.


On this particular day we'd planned a longer bike trip but then the rain was kind of intense for a while.  So we puttered around the park for a while to see if we wanted to stay close to home or if we wanted to risk the weather and go farther afield.  In the end the weather did clear up.  In the meantime we did a scavenger hunt provided by the park.  E, our little Where's Waldo fanatic, was in her element.

Here are W and S catching up to us in the bike.


One of the fountains in the park, with the playground in the background. 


W and S pedaling around the playground looking for scavenger hunt items. 



Still hunting... 


...and still hunting... 


... and, well, STILL hunting.  (I was checking out all the options on my camera.)


Time to feed the ducks! 



Can anyone tell me what kind of duck/bird this is?  It hangs out with all the mallards but I've only ever seen one of them.  It is a pretty bird!


1 comment:

Melissa Ranhofer said...

I think your mystery duck is a Ruddy Shelduck.