Thursday, December 15, 2011

Sauna

You know, you haven't really lived in Sweden if you haven't tried a sauna and we all know December is the best month to be taking a dip in the ocean, right?  So my brave friend, D, and I decided it was now-or-never if we were ever going to immerse ourselves in Swedish life.

When we first arrived in Sweden I found a bathhouse that struck my interest.  Built out in the ocean with saunas and steps leading down to the water, the Bjärred bathhouse is beautiful.   (Check out my blog post from August 16th "Our Trip to the Sea.")  Back on that clear, sunny, WARM day in August, I knew then that I was going to have to try this tradition out.

Since we have no car and Bjärred isn't easily accessible, I had to do a little research to see what other options there were out there.  It turns out bathouses built out in the ocean are not that unusual here.  What better place to have a sauna?  When it comes to the part when you dunk yourself in the ocean, it is handy to be out in it already.  They do cut a hole in the ice in the winter for easier access.

So D and I headed to Malmö to the Ribersborg Kallbadhus, built in 1898.  (kall = cold, bad = bath, hus = house).  This first photo was taken as we were about to walk out to the bathhouse.  Note D's warm jacket.  It was FREEZING.  I mentioned to D, as we walked out here and looked down at the dark, cold waves all around us, that it was hard to imagine that in a short time I'd be wanting to stick as much as a big toe in this water.


The building is quite pretty. 


Our view from the sauna - the ocean and a view across to Denmark.  From the other window we had a perfectly framed view of Malmö's famous Turning Torso building.  Yes, I am a tourist through and through.  What Swede would take a camera into the sauna?  I am still very much on my cultural adjustment path.


The summer changing rooms.  It is hard to imagine this place crowded.  There were several other people there when we were but it was quite quiet and relaxing.  I can't imagine how different it must be when all these rooms are busy.


I am now officially a sauna lover and, yes, for those of you who are curious, we DID go in the ocean.  D was a lot more brave than I was.  She has no fear of the cold!  I was little more wimpy but even I can say that the cold water did feel very good after the steamy sauna.  That night I slept better than I have in ten years ... and that is not an exaggeration!!   I am becoming more Swedish by the minute!

No comments: