Friday, March 23, 2012

Museum of Sketches... E's Favorite Museum

Yep, you've seen photos of this before, but we seem to be spending quite a bit of time here.  I love that this is one of E's favorite places to be.  She can't make it through any room without finding something that grabs her and makes her sit down and pull out a pencil and sketch pad.  It is blissful to go there just the two of us.  E finds something to sit by for a while, we talk about it a little and then she starts drawing.  That leaves me with plenty of time to wander and look at the art at my own speed.  She's even inspired me to sit and sketch a little too.  (Don't worry, I won't be showing my sketches to the general public here on my blog any time soon.)  

We make a good museum pair.  Who knew this would happen for us when E was only six years old?! 












There's a new exhibit in the museum and this was our first time seeing it.  As we entered this wing it would have been hard not to notice the glowing red light at the far end of the building.


We read that this is the first visual work of art intended to be explored with the eyes closed.  The viewer is supposed to enter the room, stand in front of one of the flashing lights in the contraption on the left, and close their eyes.  The colors that flash from behind your eyelids are supposed to mean... something........  At this point in reading about it, the pulsing, flashing, weird light was starting to get to me.  I guess I need to become more cultured or something because I didn't really want to explore the exhibit further.  It was making me itchy.


I love that E is really genuinely intrigued by all kinds of art.  At this point I was still feeling needled by the flashing light exhibit and I would have been content heading for home.  But E was happy as a clam and we stayed until the museum locked up for the night. 


One last sketch in my favorite room in the museum.  As E sketched I discovered that the entire wall at one end of the room is a set of six doors and each door opens to yet another layer of art to be enjoyed.  Oh joy! I guess we're going to have to come back to the museum again to check this out when we have more time.




The viewing balcony above the same room. 




Outside, lots of fun sculptures. 


Every sign on this post points to a city and tells how far away it is.  
On the other side of each sign there is a quote about art.


This is carved along one exterior wall of the museum.  I *think* this tells the story of Lund, maybe?  That's just a guess based on what I can tell from all the photos I took of this (there are many pics!)  I'll have to find out more about it.








No comments: