Thursday, March 22, 2012

Öppna Förskola

I know I've said this before but I'll go ahead and say it again:  I want to be a Swedish kid.  Even for just one day.  Everywhere I turn I bump into a new reason why I would like to swap places with a wee Swede.  



This is reason #, oh, 4563 or so...  the öppna förskola.  Öppna förskola translates to "open preschool."  These play centers are all over Sweden and we have two right here in Lund.  They are generally open every weekday, they are free and you can stop in any time.  This isn't a drop-off place, parents stay with their child so it is a great way to meet up with other parents.  Each öppna förskola has plenty of toys, a quiet reading area, a dress up area, a play kitchen area and at least a slide.  One of them has a room full of squishy blocks and pillows so kids can climb around and not get hurt.  They even have a story / singing circle every morning.  They aren't just a haven for little ones, though.  The öppna förskola has coffee brewing when you arrive and refreshments available any time.  Not bad, eh? 


S loves the öppna förskola and any day her school has a teacher work day (about once a month), we head out to go play together. Lund is such an international city we are never the only non-Swedes.  We recently  attended a story time and when they went around the circle saying what country everyone was from there were 11 different nationalities represented!  


So while I guess I've missed my chance to be a Swedish kid, 
I have to admit I'm pretty lucky to be a parent in Sweden.  


No comments: