Saturday, October 8, 2011

Sight-seeing in our town

Yep - I'm still taking photos of random buildings!  


Just look at this detail though.  
I keep noticing little works of art in unexpected places.  I found these bricks 
on an apartment building around the corner from our house. 


This white house seems typically Scandinavian to me.  At some point I'm going to sit down and read up on the architectural styles of Northern Europe.  I've read that Lund has very Danish influence because the city spent many years a part of Denmark.  I wouldn't be able to tell you what the differences are between Swedish and Danish architeture.  It all just looks vaguely Northern European to me.  Some day hopefully I'll know more!!!



The Swedish word for pharmacy is "apoteket." Until 2009 the government ran all pharmacies.  Even though the laws have changed, still most of the drug stores we see are government run.  This one, called Apoteket Svanen (Swan Pharmacy) faces the cathedral.  The building has housed a pharmacy since the 1650s.  >Insert your own joke here about old and expired medicines!<



E outside Apoteket Svanen - see the gold swan above the windows? 



I'm not a fan of graffiti like this anywhere, but here?  Really?  On this old beautiful building?  You'd think they could have found somewhere more concrete, ugly and modern.



There are all kinds of mini courtyards like this around town.  Most of the time they aren't this open so you can't see into them unless you snoop into an entrance way!



This huge white confection is perhaps the most noticeable building of Lund University.  This building is on the edge of the park where the cathedral is.  I caught this photo as I was on my way to teach class.  The light was just perfect and if I hadn't been headed somewhere I'd have wandered a little and taken more photos.




*sigh* 
I get to walk through this every day.  I am so insanely lucky!



No comments: